TaxAct Review 2018
According to the IRS over 240 million people file taxes every year in America. While a good percentage of them continue to use tax preparers, millions of tax payers have now moved their tax preparation online with software from companies like TurboTax, TaxAct and CreditKarma.
As more tax payers are looking to get faster refunds with eFile it only makes sense that using trusted tax preparation software is the way to go for most people.
Throw in the fact that millions of people qualify for free tax returns if they’re filing a 1040EZ and not itemizing deductions and it’s a no-brainer. Tax software is the way to go.
Today we’re going to look at an online tax software product called TaxAct and get to the bottom of these 3 important questions.
- How much does TaxAct cost?
- How does TaxAct Work?
- Does TaxAct Have Customer Support?
Ready to get started? There’s a lot more after the jump!
When you first visit the TaxAct website at http://taxact.com you’re greeted with a very bold statement. “Your maximum refund, backed by our $100k Accuracy Guarantee.” TaxAct is so confident in their ability to get you your maximum refund they’re willing to stake $100,000 on the accuracy of your tax return.
How’s that for a guarantee!
TaxAct is putting one-hundred thousand dollars on the line to prove that their tax software is designed to give you 100% accuracy, and accuracy is the name of the game.
There’s no two ways about it. To get the biggest tax refund you have to have an accurate tax return and TaxAct is willing to put their money where their mouth is.
Are you interested learning more? Let’s dive into the product and find out how it works!
TaxAct Pricing: How Much Does TaxAct Cost?
TaxAct has 5 main plans, Free, Basic, Plus, Freelancer & Premium. Below we’ll cover each of these plans in detail so you fully understand what each plan does and which one might be the best fit for your needs this tax season.
Note. These prices are only available through the links on this page.
- Free: Millions of people are eligible for the TaxAct Free plan if they’re filing a 1040EZ. The 1040EZ the simplest tax form you can use to file your taxes. If your taxable income is less than $100,000, you don’t claim any dependents and you file as single or are married filing jointly, then you may be eligible to file Form 1040EZ.
- Basic ($7.47): If you have dependents, retirement income or college expenses then the TaxAct Basic plan the cheapest option for you. Regular pricing on this plan is $14.95, so $7.47 is a smashing deal. If you need to file State Taxes then you’ll have to pay an extra $8.50. For reference, TurboTax Deluxe, their basic plan, is $59.99!
- Plus ($19.97): Do you own a home? Are you itemizing deductions? Do you have investment income? The TaxAct Plus plan might be the plan for you. Regularly $39.95, Everlance users get a 50% discount.If you need to file State Taxes it is an additional $19.99.
- Freelancer ($29.97): The TaxAct Freelancer plan is for those that are self-employed or independent-contractors. Regularly $59.97, Everlance visitors get 50% off when they go through this link. State Taxes are an additional $19.99.
- Premium ($34.97): The TaxAct Premium plan is geared towards all types of tax filers. Why the increase in price? TaxAct offers Audit Defense, which means that you’ll be able to take advantage of their comprehensive response and resolution strategies and assistance with tax relief, denied credits, fraud & correspondence with IRS and State on your behalf. State Taxes are an additional $19.99.For $34.97 (regularly $69.97) the TaxAct Premium plan is a serious deal. TurboTax charges up to $180 for a similar service!
When it comes to price, TaxAct is one of the cheapest products around. Feel free to compare it to the largest tax software company in the industry, TurboTax, and you’ll see what we mean.
For right around $55 you can get TaxAct Premium + State Taxes + Audit Defense and it’s still cheaper than TurboTax’s basic plan!
TaxAct is a no-frills tax software program, and quite honestly – why do you need fancy colors and spinning wheels? Wouldn’t you rather have a simple interface, easy-to-follow instructions and an accurate tax return?
With TaxAct you can import last year’s returns, import your tax forms (W-2, 1099). And since TaxAct is online you can log in from any device with an internet connection and continue working on your return.
This is a great feature for getting your tax return done at different times, because let’s face it, not everyone wants to sit down for 30 minutes – 1 hour to get all of their documents in order to start the process!
With TaxAct’s new mobile you can not only access the software quickly, you can also take a picture of your W-2 and have that import instantly! That’s incredibly helpful. No scanning. No emailing. No driving down to a tax office and handing it off. Just snap a pic and you’re in.
TaxAct is also easy to use. Just take a look at the image above. You have simple instructions on what to do now and what to do next. If you look on the sidebar to the right you can see the Help link, so you’ll have help every step of the way if you need it.
Under Help is Tools where you can access things like the donation assistant and tax calculators such as the Self-Employment tax calculator and Tax Bracket calculator. In addition to those features you’ll also have access to other tax resources to help you along.
TaxAct Customer Support
With TaxAct you can speak with a CPA or IRS Enrolled Agent (EA) over the phone or via live chat if you need help. This live tax help is an amazing value for an inexpensive product considering that CPA’s & EA’s typically aren’t free!
Phone support is available Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET; Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; and Sundays, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
While you might not get specific advice, you will get help with general tax questions and understanding your tax requirements.
TaxAct also has a huge online Support section with popular help topics that can answer almost any question about their tax software and the process of filing taxes that you might encounter.
TaxAct is the real deal. An inexpensive tax software product that guarantees 100% accuracy in their product. Ease of use is an understatement, TaxAct really is incredibly simple from start-to-finish.
Whether you’re filing a 1040EZ for free, or a freelancer that uses Everlance to track mileage & expenses – TaxAct has an inexpensive solution for you.
At Everlance we’re all about accurate products at an affordable price and TaxAct is an ideal partner. If you want to save the most money on tax software, get 100% accuracy on your return & the biggest possible refund owed to you – take our advice and give TaxAct a try.
Make sure to use this link to get the low prices we mentioned above and don’t forget to give Everlance a try. Everlance makes it simple to automatically track your mileage, expenses & revenue. When it’s time to do your taxes (with TaxAct!) it’s as easy as exporting your mileage & expense data and importing it into TaxAct.
When you combine Everlance with TaxAct you have two inexpensive products that can save you a lot of money!